Spring/Summer Choosing Health!® Rally
& Free Family Fun Friday
May 2, 2014
Gier Community Center, Lansing, MI
(Click HERE for event flyer.)
Healthy Lifestyle Resources
Demonstrations & Children's Activities
Taste of Health
About the Rally
The Capital Area Health Alliance partnered with Lansing Parks & Recreation to host a Spring/Summer Choosing Health!® Rally
on Friday, May 2, 2014, from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. New this year, the Rally took place at the Gier Community Center Family Fun Friday at 2400 Hall Street in Lansing. Free transportation to and from the Rally were generously provided by Capital Area Transportation Authority (CATA)
Through this rally, participants discovered community resources that are available during the spring and summer to help their pursuit of healthy lifestyles. Kids and adults had the opportunity to sign up for local organizations’ spring & summer programs and/or get more information about what they had to offer, learn more about healthy eating and physical activity, and win door prizes. They also enjoyed bottled water and children’s welcome bags donated by Grace Hospice and Junior League of Lansing.
Participating Organizations and Restaurants included:
- Allen Neighborhood Center
- Capital Area District Libraries
- Capital Area Health Alliance
- Delta Township Parks and Recreation
- Gateway Community Services
- Grace Hospice
- Hayes Green Beach/AL!VE
- Hospice of Lansing
- Ingham County Health Department
- Lansing City Market
- Lansing Community College - Youth Programs
- Lansing Latino Health Alliance
- Lansing Parks & Recreation
- Michigan Department of Natural Resources
- Mid-Michigan Mountain Biking Association
- National Council on Alcoholism
- NorthWest Initiative
- Olga’s Kitchen
- PGPA Pharmacy
- School-Community Health Alliance of Michigan
- Susan G. Komen Mid-Michigan
- Women's Center of Greater Lansing
- YMCA - Mystic Lake YMCA Camp
Activities at the Choosing Health!® Rally included:
- Children’s Activities (Batting Cages, Climbing Wall, Bounce House, Game Room), presented by Lansing Parks & Recreation
- Fitness Class Demos (Zumba, Karate), presented by Lansing Parks & Recreation
- Good Form Walking Clinic, presented by Playmakers
- Healthy Michigan Enrollment, presented by School-Community Health Alliance of Michigan
- Healthy Living Displays from area organizations
- Taste of Health, featuring healthy food samples from Houlihan’s and Olga’s Kitchen
- Door Prize Drawing, featuring prizes donated by Capital Area Health Alliance, East Lansing Aquatic Center, Extreme Fun, Grace Hospice, Hospice of Lansing, Junior League of Lansing, Lansing City Market, Lansing Lugnuts, Playmakers, Spare Time Entertainment Center, Target, and Zoup!
If your organization is interested in having a display table at a future Choosing Health!® Rally, or of you would like more information about future Rallies, please contact the Capital Area Health Alliance at CAHealthAlliance@aol.com or 517-347-3377.
FOR PARTICIPATING ORGANIZATIONS
This is a great opportunity to not only promote the resources and spring/summer activities of local organizations, but also help create a culture of healthy lifestyles in the Capital Area. The Choosing Health® movement marks a step forward for the Capital Area. It’s an opportunity for health professionals, organizations and businesses to work together to encourage, educate and inspire Capital Area residents to seek health and wellness for their families, neighborhoods and themselves. HOMTV has already offered to run public service announcements about the Rally.
We would like to invite local organizations and businesses to set up a display table for your organization at the event to expose the community to healthy lifestyle resources and events occurring through your organization. Displays should be dynamic and fun; all appropriate decorations that can fit on 8-foot tables or within a 8-foot space are welcome. To help defray some of the costs of this event, CAHA would like to ask your organization please consider making a contribution for your display table.
To register for a table display, please contact the Capital Area Health Alliance at 517.347.3377 or by email at CAHealthAlliance@aol.com. Please include your name, organization's name, phone number, and email.