|Spring/Summer Choosing Health!® Rally
June 8, 2013
1:30 - 4:30 p.m.
The Armory & St. Joseph Tabernacle Church, Lansing, MI
(Click HERE for event flyer.)
Over 400 people came out to the June 8, 2013 Choosing Health!® Rally, enjoying Healthy Lifestyle Resources, children's activities, healthy food samples from local restaurants, healthy cooking demos, a mini yoga class, Healthy Minds Bingo, a Good Form Walking Clinic, motivational speakers, and more!
The Spring/Summer Choosing Health!® Rally was featured on WLNS Channel 6 News.
State Representative Andy Schor also broadcast a special show about the Choosing Health!® movement and the Spring/Summer Choosing Health!® Rally, with CAHA Executive Director Valerie Glesnes-Anderson and Dr. Renee Canady, Health Officer at the Ingham County Health Department.
About the Rally
The Capital Area Health Alliance (CAHA) partnered with Community Partners in Health and St. Joseph Tabernacle Church to host a FREE community-wide Spring/Summer Choosing Health!® Rally on Saturday, June 8, 2013, at the St. Joseph Tabernacle Church and the Armory in Lansing. Free transportation to and from the Rally were generously provided by CATA.
The purpose of this Rally and future Rallies is for attendees to discover resources that will be available through the Spring and Summer to help in their pursuit of healthy lifestyles. Attendees had the opportunity to sign up for local organizations' programs and/or get information about what organizations have to offer, learn about Governor Snyder's 4 x 4 Plan to improve health and wellness in our community, and enjoy activities, demonstrations, a walk, and door prizes. Renee Canady (Health Officer, Ingham County Health Department), State Rep. Andy Schor, and Bishop Joseph Futch Jr. (St. Joseph Tabernacle Church) kicked off the Rally.
Participating organizations and restaurants included:
- Allen Neighborhood Center
- Alzheimer’s Association
- Barry-Eaton District Health Department
- Blue Care Network of Michigan
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Capital Area District Libraries
- Capital Area Health Alliance
- Capital Area United Way
- Community Mental Health
- East Lansing Hot Yoga
- Gateway Community Services
- Grace Hospice
- Harris Nature Center
- Hayes Green Beach Memorial Hospital/AL!VE
- Health & Fitness Magazine
- Ingham County Department of Human Services
- Ingham County Health Department
- Ingham County Land Bank Garden Program
- Ingham County Parks
- Ingham Health Plan
- Lansing Community College
- Lansing Latino Health Alliance
- New Level Sports Ministries
- NexCare Health Systems
- Physician’s Health Plan
- St. Joseph Tabernacle Church
- Women’s Center of Greater Lansing
- YMCA of Lansing
If your organization is interested in having a display table at a future Choosing Health!® Rally, please contact the Capital Area Health Alliance at CAHealthAlliance@aol.com or 517-347-3377.
Activities at the Choosing Health!® Rally included:
- Healthy Living Displays from area organizations
- Kids Carnival & Camp Games, organized by Lansing Parks & Recreation
- Taste of Health, featuring healthy food samples from Lansing City Market and Sultan's
- Good Form Walking Clinic, organized by Community Partners in Health
- Healthy Minds Bingo, organized by Community Mental Health
- Healthy Simple Cooking, with health coach Neeshan Mehretu
- Quick Easy Meals and Snacks, with Joyce McGarry from MSU Extension
- Fun Fitness with Jump Ropes, organized by Lansing Community College
- Warming Up to Hot Yoga, organized by Hot Rocks Yoga
- Walks in Our Community, organized by Community Partners in Health
- Door Prize Drawing, featuring prizes donated by African Safari Wildlife Park, Beggar’s Banquet, Celebration! Cinema, Cheddar’s, City Limits East, Creative Wellness, Detroit Tigers, East Lansing Aquatic Center, East Lansing Hot Yoga, Extreme Fun, Foods for Living, Highland Hills Golf Club, Lansing City Market, Lansing Lugnuts, Mancino’s, Merts Specialty Meats, Players’ Choice Golf, Playmakers, Protégé Academy of Cosmetology, Sam’s Club, Sparrow, Sultan’s, Target, Texas Roadhouse, Walgreens, and Zap Zone Fun Center
Email email@example.com or call 517-347-3377 to register for future Rallies or for more details.